Symptoms of rat poisoning don’t show up right away. In some cases, there may not be any symptoms at all.1 If a person doesn’t realize they have ingested rat poison, they may confuse their symptoms for another condition. Symptoms to be aware of include:
- Anticoagulants: Spontaneous bleeding from the gums, nose, or skin. Signs of internal bleeding include lightheadedness, shortness of breath, pain, nausea, and vomiting. Symptoms may not be obvious, especially in children.
- Bromethalin: Upset stomach or altered mental status. Signs of cerebral edema include visual, behavioral, or mental disturbances, headaches, confusion, vomiting, lethargy, or loss of consciousness.
- Cholecalciferol: Dehydration, extreme thirst, increased urination. Exposure can result in heart and kidney damage if the excess calcium accumulation is not corrected.
- Zinc phosphide: Vomiting, hyper-excitability, chills, convulsions, shortness of breath and coma. Inhaling zinc phosphide can cause anxiousness and breathing difficulty.
- Strychnine: Muscle spasms and seizures. Symptoms can set in within 15 minutes and progress until breathing is impaired.
Some rat poison products contain blue or green dye so that you can quickly identify when a child or pet has touched or consumed them.